- IntroducedLok SabhaJul 11, 2014Gray
- PassedLok SabhaJul 14, 2014Gray
- PassedRajya SabhaJul 15, 2014Gray
- The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Amendment) Act, 2014 was passed by Parliament on July 15, 2014. It received Presidential assent on July 17, 2014.
- The government had promulgated the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Amendment) Ordinance, 2014 on May 28, 2014 to amend the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India Act, 1997 (the TRAI Act). The Amendment Act replaces the Ordinance.
- The TRAI Act prohibited a former Chairperson or whole-time members of the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) to be employed with central or state governments.
- The Amendment Act permits them to accept such an employment: (i) after two years from the date they cease to hold office, or (ii) before completion of two years with the approval of the central government.
- The TRAI Act also prohibited a former TRAI Chairperson or whole-time members from accepting any employment with a commercial organisation for one year after they cease to hold office. The definition of commercial employment included working as an employee, director, partner, independent practitioner, advisor or consultant.
- The Act removes restrictions on a former TRAI Chairperson or whole-time members undertaking commercial employment except for an appointment with a telecom service provider. They can accept an appointment with a telecom service provider only: (i) after two years from the date they cease to hold office, or (ii) before completion of two years with the approval of the central government.
DISCLAIMER: This document is being furnished to you for your information. You may choose to reproduce or redistribute this report for noncommercial purposes in part or in full to any other person with due acknowledgement of PRS Legislative Research (“PRS”). The opinions expressed herein are entirely those of the author(s). PRS makes every effort to use reliable and comprehensive information, but PRS does not represent that the contents of the report are accurate or complete. PRS is an independent, not-for-profit group. This document has been prepared without regard to the objectives or opinions of those who may receive it.