Law and Justice
- PromulgatedMay 24, 2016
- The Dentists (Amendment) Ordinance, 2016 was promulgated on May 24, 2016. The Ordinance amends the Dentists Act, 1948. The Act provides for the constitution of the Dental Council of India (DCI). The DCI regulates: (i) permission to start colleges, courses or increase the number of seats, (iv) registration of dentists, and (v) standards of professional conduct of dentists; etc.
- The Ordinance introduces a uniform entrance examination for all dental colleges. This would be applicable at the undergraduate and the post-graduate level.
- The Ordinance states that in case a state has not opted for the such uniform entrance examination, then the examination will not be applicable at the undergraduate level for the academic year 2016-17. This provision will apply to state government seats in state government and private dental colleges.
- The entrance examinations will be conducted in Hindi, English and other languages.
- The Ordinance gives the DCI the power to frame regulations with regard to the (i) authority designated with the conduct of the exams, (ii) manner of conducting the exams, and (iii) specifying languages other than English and Hindi in which the examinations may be conducted.