- IntroducedRajya SabhaDec 23, 2015Gray
- ReferredStanding CommitteeJan 11, 2016Gray
- ReportStanding CommitteeJan 31, 2016Gray
- PassedRajya SabhaMay 11, 2016Gray
- PassedLok SabhaMay 11, 2016Gray
- The Rajendra Central Agricultural University Bill, 2015 was introduced by the Minister of Agriculture, Mr. Radha Mohan Singh, in the Rajya Sabha on December 23, 2015. The Bill was referred to the Standing Committee on Agriculture (Chair: Mr. Hukmdev Narayan Yadav) on January 11, 2016. Its report is due within three months of this date.
- The Bill declares the existing Rajendra Agricultural University in Pusa, Bihar which was incorporated under the Bihar Agricultural University Act, 1987 as an institute of national importance. The university will impart education in different branches of agriculture.
- Objectives: According to its Statement of Objects and Reasons, the Bill recognises that agriculture is a mainstay of the eastern region of the country. However, production levels have remained low due to a lack of appropriate production technologies. The Bill states that trained manpower and other facilities are essential to achieve excellence in teaching, research, etc. The provision of the status of institute of national importance aims to produce the needed manpower in agriculture and allied sciences.
- Functions: The university will aim to: (i) teach and undertake research in agriculture and allied sciences; (ii) supervise and control the residence and regulate the discipline of students; (iii) hold examinations and grant degrees, diplomas and other titles; (iv) collaborate and associate with other universities and institutions; (v) determine standards of admission and fee structure; etc.
- Officers of the university: (i) The Chancellor will be the head of the university; (ii) the Vice-Chancellor will be the principal executive and academic officer of the university and will be responsible for its general superintendence, direction and control of affairs; (iii) Deans and Directors; (iv) Registrar; (v) Comptroller, and other officers. The President shall be the Visitor of the university. He will have the power to conduct an inspection or inquiry into the infrastructure, administration, finances, etc, of the university.
- Board of Management: The Board will be the principal executive body of the university and will be chaired by the Vice-Chancellor. It will have the power to appoint teachers and other staff, manage finances, redress grievances of students and teachers, institute fellowships or scholarships, etc.
- Academic Council: The Council will exercise general supervision over the academic policies of the university. It will control, regulate and maintain standards of learning, instruction, evaluation, etc, (iii) other bodies include the research council, the finance committee, board of studies, etc.
- Selection Committee: The Bill specifies a selection committee for making recommendations to the Board for appointments to the posts of teachers, comptroller, registrar, librarians, deans of colleges, directors, etc.
- Financial provisions: The University will be centrally funded. Rs 295 crore will be provided to the university for the years 2015-16 and 2016-17.