The Maharashtra Municipal Corporations Temporary Postponement of Elections Ordinance, 2020
- The Maharashtra Municipal Corporations Temporary Postponement of Elections (of the Mayors and Deputy Mayors of certain Municipal Corporations due to spread of pandemic Corona Covid Virus in the State) Ordinance, 2020 was promulgated on May 2, 2020. The Ordinance provides for temporary postponement of elections of the Mayor and Deputy Mayor of certain Municipal Corporations on account of COVID-19. The Ordinance came into force on April 27, 2020. Key features include:
- Postponement of elections: The Ordinance postpones the elections of the Mayor and Deputy Mayor of certain Municipal Corporations for three months. However, it allows the state government to notify an earlier date for the elections, on which the Ordinance will expire.
- Exception: The Ordinance is not applicable to the election of the Mayor or Deputy Mayor of those Municipal Corporations, which are to be conducted immediately after the general election of those Corporations.
- Powers and duties: The Ordinance provides that the Mayors and Deputy Mayors whose term has been extended will continue to exercise the powers, functions, and duties of the Office.
- Tenure: The present Mayors and Deputy Mayors will continue to hold office until the new Mayors or Deputy Mayors are elected. It also specifies that the term of such newly elected Mayors and Deputy Mayors will end with the expiry of the term of the elected Councillors.
DISCLAIMER: This document is being furnished to you for your information. You may choose to reproduce or redistribute this report for non-commercial purposes in part or in full to any other person with due acknowledgement of PRS Legislative Research (“PRS”). The opinions expressed herein are entirely those of the author(s). PRS makes every effort to use reliable and comprehensive information, but PRS does not represent that the contents of the report are accurate or complete. PRS is an independent, not-for-profit group. This document has been prepared without regard to the objectives or opinions of those who may receive it.