- IntroducedLok SabhaDec 10, 2012Gray
- ReferredStanding CommitteeDec 28, 2012Gray
- ReportStanding CommitteeMar 01, 2013Gray
- PassedLok SabhaAug 24, 2013Gray
- PassedRajya SabhaFeb 19, 2014Gray
- The Governors (Emoluments, Allowances and Privileges) Amendment Bill, 2012 was introduced in the Lok Sabha on December 10, 2012 by Mr. Sushil Kumar Shinde.
- The Bill seeks to amend the Governors (Emoluments, Allowances and Privileges) Act, 1982. Under the Act, each Governor is entitled to an emolument of Rs 1,10,000 per month. Ex-Governors are entitled only to medical benefits.
- The Bill seeks to provide certain other pension and post-retirement benefits to ex-Governors. The Bill amends the Act to provide that the ex-Governor shall be entitled to one personal assistant for the rest of his life.
- The Bill provides that this emolument shall not be provided for the period the ex-Governor has: (a) been re-appointed as Governor; or (b) elected to either the Parliament or state legislature; or (c) been appointed to any office of profit under the state government or central government.
DISCLAIMER: This document is being furnished to you for your information. You may choose to reproduce or redistribute this report for noncommercial purposes in part or in full to any other person with due acknowledgement of PRS Legislative Research (“PRS”). The opinions expressed herein are entirely those of the author(s). PRS makes every effort to use reliable and comprehensive information, but PRS does not represent that the contents of the report are accurate or complete. PRS is an independent, not-for-profit group. This document has been prepared without regard to the objectives or opinions of those who may receive it.