- IntroducedLok SabhaDec 12, 2011Gray
- PassedLok SabhaDec 12, 2011Gray
- PassedRajya SabhaDec 14, 2011Gray
- The National Capital Territory of Delhi Laws (Special Provisions) Second Bill, 2011 was introduced in the Lok Sabha by the Minister for Urban Development, Mr. Kamal Nath on December 12, 2011. The Bill was passed by the Lok Sabha on the date of introduction, and by the Rajya Sabha on December 14, 2011.
- The Master Plan for Delhi 2021 was notified by the central government on February 7, 2007. It provides for strategies for housing for urban poor as well as for dealing with the informal sector. Since 2007, the central government has annually extended the deadline for finalizing policies for achieving the Master Plan’s targets by a year. The Bill extends the deadline of December 31, 2011 by three years to December 31, 2014.
- The central government shall finalize policy guidelines and make arrangements to deal with the problem of encroachment and unauthorized development. These include arrangements for: a) relocation and rehabilitation of slum dwellers and Jhuggi-Jhompri clusters in Delhi; b) regulation of urban street vendors; and c) regularization of unauthorized colonies, village abadi areas and their extensions.
- Status quo shall be maintained: a) in respect of encroachment or unauthorized development as of January 1, 2006; b) in respect of unauthorized colonies, village abadi areas that existed on March 31, 2002 and where construction took place up till February 8, 2007; and c) in other areas as specified in the Bill.
- Protection is provided against punitive action by any local authority. All notices issued by local authorities against encroachment or unauthorised development in respect of areas specified in the Bill shall be suspended till December 31, 2014.
- Protection from punitive action will not extend to: a) encroachment on public land not covered under policies approved by the central government; and b) removal of slums and Jhuggi-Jhompri dwellers, hawkers and urban street vendors, unauthorized colonies, village abadi areas and their extensions for clearance of land required for public projects.
January 16, 2012