Law and Justice
- The Company Secretaries (Amendment) Bill, 2010 was introduced on April 29, 2010 in the Rajya Sabha by the Minister of Corporate Affairs, Shri Salman Kurshid. The Bill was referred to the Standing Committee on Finance, which is scheduled to present its report within two months.
- The Bill seeks to amend the Company Secretaries Act, 1980, which regulates the profession of Company Secretaries.
- The Bill seeks to allow the members of the Institute of Company Secretaries of India to form limited liability partnerships as defined by the Limited Liability Partnership Act, 2008.
- The Bill also allows members of the Institute of Company Secretaries of India to form partnerships with members of specified professions.
- The Bill adds definitions of “firm”, “partner”, “partnership” and “sole proprietorship”.