- The Constitution (Scheduled Castes) Orders (Amendment) Bill, 2014 was introduced in the Rajya Sabha by the Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment, Mr. Mallikarjun Kharge on February 11, 2014.
- The Bill seeks to amend the Constitution (Scheduled Castes) Order, 1950 and the Constitution (Dadra and Nagar Haveli) Scheduled Castes Order, 1962. It adds new communities to the list of Scheduled Castes in Haryana, Karnataka, Odisha, and Dadra and Nagar Haveli. It updates the name Uttaranchal to Uttarakhand in this list.
- Article 341 of the Constitution empowers the President to specify castes which will be deemed as Scheduled Castes through a notification. It also empowers Parliament to include or exclude castes from the list of Scheduled Castes.
- The Bill adds the following communities to the list of Scheduled Castes:
- Haryana: Kabirpanthi Julaha
- Karnataka: Od, Odde, Vaddar, Waddar, Voddar, Woddar, Bovi (Non Besta), Kalluvaddar, and Mannuvaddar
- Odisha: Rajak, Rajaka, Adhuria Dom, Adhuria Domb, Khatia, Sapua Kela, Nalua Kela, Sabakhia Kela, Matia Kela, Gaudia Kela, Khadal, Khodal and Betra
- Dadra and Nagar Haveli: Rohit
DISCLAIMER: This document is being furnished to you for your information. You may choose to reproduce or redistribute this report for noncommercial purposes in part or in full to any other person with due acknowledgement of PRS Legislative Research (“PRS”). The opinions expressed herein are entirely those of the author(s). PRS makes every effort to use reliable and comprehensive information, but PRS does not represent that the contents of the report are accurate or complete. PRS is an independent, not-for-profit group. This document has been prepared without regard to the objectives or opinions of those who may receive it.