IntroducedLok SabhaJul 19, 2016
PassedLok SabhaJul 19, 2016
PassedRajya SabhaAug 01, 2016
- The Dentists (Amendment) Bill, 2016 was introduced by Minister of Health and Family Welfare, Mr. Jagat Prakash Nadda in Lok Sabha on July 19, 2016. The Bill seeks to amend the Dentists Act, 1948. The Act provides for the constitution of the Dental Council of India (DCI). The DCI regulates: (i) permission to start colleges, courses or increase the number of seats, (iv) registration of dentists, and (v) standards of professional conduct of dentists; among others.
- The Bill seeks to replace the Dentists (Amendment) Ordinance, 2016. The Bill states that its provisions will come in to force from May 24, 2016.
- The Bill seeks to introduce a uniform entrance examination for all dental educational institutions. This would be applicable at the undergraduate and the post-graduate level.
- The Bill states that in case a state has not opted for the uniform entrance examination, then the examination will not be applicable at the undergraduate level for the academic year 2016-17. This provision will apply to state government seats in government and private dental colleges.
- The Bill states that the entrance examinations will be conducted in Hindi, English and other languages.
- The Bill provides powers to the DCI to frame regulations with regard to: (i) the authority designated with the conduct of the exams, (ii) the manner of conducting the exams, and (iii) specifying languages other than English and Hindi in which the examinations may be conducted.
DISCLAIMER: This document is being furnished to you for your information. You may choose to reproduce or redistribute this report for noncommercial purposes in part or in full to any other person with due acknowledgement of PRS Legislative Research (“PRS”). The opinions expressed herein are entirely those of the author(s). PRS makes every effort to use reliable and comprehensive information, but PRS does not represent that the contents of the report are accurate or complete. PRS is an independent, not-for-profit group. This document has been prepared without regard to the objectives or opinions of those who may receive it.