IntroducedRajya SabhaFeb 19, 2014
ReferredStanding CommitteeFeb 26, 2014
ReportStanding CommitteeNov 28, 2014
WithdrawnRajya SabhaDec 09, 2014
- The Food Safety and Standards (Amendment) Bill, 2014 was introduced in the Rajya Sabha on February 19, 2014 by the Minister of Health and Family Welfare, Mr. Ghulam Nabi Azad. The Bill amends the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006.
- The Act establishes the Food Safety and Standards Authority (FSSAI) to regulate the manufacture, storage, distribution, sale and import of food items.
- The Bill specifies that the chairperson shall guide and oversee the FSSAI, preside over its meetings and exercise any other powers of the FSSAI as may be assigned to him.
- Under the Act, the FSSAI consists of a chairperson and twenty-two members. The Bill proposes to add the Chief Executive Officer as a member of the FSSAI.
- The Act provides that one-third of the members of FSSAI shall be women. The Bill changes this provision to state that of the 10 members of the FSSAI, representing the farmers, retailers, consumers, food scientists and technologists, one- third shall be women.
- The Act empowered the Authority to make regulations by notification with the prior approval of the central government and after previous publication. The Bill states that the central government may in public interest, by a written order dispense with the condition of previous publication.
DISCLAIMER: This document is being furnished to you for your information. You may choose to reproduce or redistribute this report for non-commercial purposes in part or in full to any other person with due acknowledgement of PRS Legislative Research (“PRS”). The opinions expressed herein are entirely those of the author(s). PRS makes every effort to use reliable and comprehensive information, but PRS does not represent that the contents of the report are accurate or complete. PRS is an independent, not-for-profit group. This document has been prepared without regard to the objectives or opinions of those who may receive it.