Law and Justice
IntroducedLok SabhaJul 19, 2016
- The High Courts (Alteration of Names) Bill, 2016 was introduced in Lok Sabha on July 19, 2016 by the Minister of Law and Justice, Mr. Ravi Shanker Prasad. The Bill seeks to modify the names of the High Courts (HCs)of Bombay, Calcutta and Madras.
- Alteration of names of the HCs:The High Courts of Bombay, Calcutta and Madras will be known as the High Courts of Mumbai, Kolkata and Chennai respectively.
- Government to modify relevant laws: In order to give effect to the alteration of names of the three High Courts, the appropriate government will have the power to amend or repeal any laws. This must be done within one year of the coming into force of this Act.
- Legal proceedings: Any pending legal proceedings against the High Courts of Bombay, Calcutta or Madras as parties, will now be substituted with the high courts of Mumbai, Kolkata and Chennai.
- Since the names of the cities in which the high courts are located have been changed, the names of the high courts are being consequently modified.
DISCLAIMER: This document is being furnished to you for your information. You may choose to reproduce or redistribute this report for non-commercial purposes in part or in full to any other person with due acknowledgement of PRS Legislative Research (“PRS”). The opinions expressed herein are entirely those of the author(s). PRS makes every effort to use reliable and comprehensive information, but PRS does not represent that the contents of the report are accurate or complete. PRS is an independent, not-for-profit group. This document has been prepared without regard to the objectives or opinions of those who may receive it.