Human Resource Development
IntroducedLok SabhaMar 27, 2017
PassedLok SabhaJul 26, 2017
PassedRajya SabhaAug 03, 2017
- The Indian Institutes of Information Technology (Amendment) Bill, 2017 was introduced by the Minister of Human Resource Development, Mr. Prakash Javadekar in Lok Sabha on March 27, 2017.
- The Bill amends the Indian Institutes of Information Technology Act, 2014. The Act declares certain Institutes of Technology as institutions of national importance. Further, it seeks to (i) develop new knowledge in information technology; and (ii) provide manpower of global standards for the information technology industry.
- Appointment of Director: Under the Act, there is a search-cum-selection committee which recommends names to the central government for the appointment of the Director of an institute. The Bill modifies the composition of the search-cum-selection committee by replacing the Director of an Indian Institute of Information Technology with the Director of an Indian Institute of Technology.
- Appointment for posts of Assistant Professor and above: The Act permits the Board of Governors of the institutes to appoint Assistant Professors. The Bill permits the Board to appoint Assistant Professors and all the posts above that level as well.
- Incorporation of an institute: The Bill seeks to declare the Indian Institute of Technology, Design and Manufacturing, Kurnool as an institution of national importance and adds it to the Schedule of the Act (consists of other institutions of national importance).
DISCLAIMER: This document is being furnished to you for your information. You may choose to reproduce or redistribute this report for non-commercial purposes in part or in full to any other person with due acknowledgement of PRS Legislative Research (“PRS”). The opinions expressed herein are entirely those of the author(s). PRS makes every effort to use reliable and comprehensive information, but PRS does not represent that the contents of the report are accurate or complete. PRS is an independent, not-for-profit group. This document has been prepared without regard to the objectives or opinions of those who may receive it.