- The National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro-Sciences Bill, 2010 (NIMHANS Bill) was introduced in the Rajya Sabha on December 7, 2010. The Bill was introduced by Shri Ghulam Nabi Azad, the Minister of Health and Family Welfare. The Bill was referred to the Standing Committee on Health and Family Welfare on December 8, 2010.
- The Bill seeks to establish the existing NIMHANS in Karnataka as an institution of national importance.
- The Bill establishes NIMHANS as a corporate body. It also states the objects and functions of the Institute, the composition of its members, and their powers and functions. The Bill also states that NIMHANS will carry out its functions under the control of the central government.
- The objects of NIMHANS are (a) to develop patterns of teaching in undergraduate and postgraduate medical education, (b) to bring together educational facilities for the training of personnel in important branches of health activity, and (c) to be self-sufficient in meeting the country’s needs for specialists and medical teachers.
- The institute shall consist of the Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare, the Secretary to the central government in the Department of Higher Education, the Director-General of Health Services in the central government, seven representatives of the Indian Science Congress Association, four representatives of medical faculties of Indian universities, three Members of Parliament, among others.
- Some important functions which NIMHANS will perform in order to attain its objectives are:
- Provide undergraduate and postgraduate teaching in medicine and other allied sciences;
- Provide facilities for research of such sciences;
- Provide facilities for the teaching of humanities;
- Conduct experiments on new methods of medical education;
- Specify courses and curricula for undergraduate and postgraduate studies;
- NIMHANS can also maintain equipped hospitals, nursing colleges for training nurses, etc.
- NIMHANS will also have the power to grant medical and nursing degrees, diplomas, certificates and other academic distinctions.
July 5, 2011